Fosse Highcross Ward Blaby District Councillors Monthly Report - November 2023
No.10 Downing Street
On October 17th your District Councillors, together with Cllr Terry Richardson, Leader of Blaby District Council, and Cllr Maggie Wright, our County Councilor, were invited by Alberto Costa MP to join him to present a petition against Hinckley National Rail Freight Interchange, at No.10 Downing Street.
Your Councillors and Member of Parliament will fight the HNRFI proposals at every opportunity, continuing with the Planning Inspectorate examination on Monday 30th October through to Friday 3rd November. One or both of your district Councillors will attend the seven separate hearings, raising any matters on the Scheme.
During October there have been many training events and meetings attended by one or both of your Councillors:
- Training – Introduction to Communication & social media – 3rd
- Training – Audit & Corporate Governance Committee Workshop – 4th
- HNRFI zoom meeting with Alberto Costa MP and Dr Luke Evans MP – 4th
- Cost of Living Event – 5th
- Planning Committee – 5th
- Sapcote Parish Council – 5th
- Audit & Corporate Governance Interviews – 9th
- Audit & Corporate Governance Committee – 10th
- Training – Climate Change Masterclass – 12th
- HNRFI Petition presentation at 10 Downing Street – 17th
- Training – Domestic Abuse Awareness – 18th
- Sharnford Parish Council – 19th
- Training – Finance & Welfare – 23rd
- Extraordinary Blaby Council Meeting – 25th
- All Saints School, Sapcote – 25th
- HNRFI Examination, Open Floor Hearing – 30th
- HNRFI Examination, Traffic & Transport 31st
During November the following training events and meetings will be attended by one or both of your Councillors:
- Training – Anti-social Behavior – 1st
- HNRFI Examination, Environmental Matters – 1st
- HNRFI Examination, Need and Socio-Economic Matters – 1st
- HNRFI Examination, Open Floor Hearing – 2nd
- HNRFI Examination, Compulsory Acquisition Hearing – 2nd
- HNRFI Examination, Draft Development Consent Order – 3rd
- Sapcote Parish Council – 2nd
- Training – Equalities, Diversity & Inclusion – 9th
- Remembrance Sunday – 12th
- LRALC AGM – 15th
- Training – Planning Masterclass – 16th
- Sharnford Parish Council – 16th
- Chairs Charity Event – 17th
- Aston Flamville Parish Meeting – 22nd
- Elmesthorpe Parish Council – 23rd
- Elmesthorpe Festive Fair – 26th
- Blaby District Council – 28th
- Planning Committee – 30th
- Rail Freight hub timetable confirmed.
- Glenfield Neighbourhood Plan reaches referendum stage.
- Businesses invited to unique recruitment event.
- Awards will recognise unsung community heroes.
- Council slashes greenhouse gas emissions.
- Council installs air quality equipment.
- Rail freight hub would cause ‘untold damage’.
- Council grants funds to children’s charity.
- Arsonists destroy nature area toilets.
- Council approves money for more landfill gas works at Huncote.
- Works to start on improvements at Enderby Leisure and Golf Centre.
HNRFI Update – Examination
The Hinckley National Rail Freight Interchange will remain in our monthly reports until the final decision is made by the Secretary of State
Cost-of-Living Information Event
Blaby District Council is running a series of drop-in events to help residents find support with the cost-of-living crisis. The events will give residents an opportunity to speak face to face with council staff and staff from other organisations who can help with problems including benefits, housing, debt, and food support. The events are drop-in sessions, so no appointment is needed, and they are open to all residents across the district. Tea and coffee will be provided. Agencies will bring along a range of free merchandise.
Major Planning Applications
22/00192/OUT – H&BBC - Outline planning permission for the residential development of up to 85 dwellings on Lychgate Lane, Burbage.
This application was refused by H&BBC, but the applicant appealed to the Planning Inspector and on 30th October 2023 the appeal was allowed.
DECISION - APPLICATION APPROVED
22/01037/OUT – H&BBC - Erection of 343 homes, Jelson Homes, Aston Flamville Road, Burbage This application was refused by H&BBC and a new application submitted in August 2023.
Jelson Homes have now appealed to the Planning Inspectorate for the first application.
Cllr Mike Shirley has made representation to object to this planning application on behalf of Aston Flamville residents. We now await the date of appeal by the Planning Inspector.
19/0164/OUT – Blaby – Outline application for a commercial development consisting of erection of 4 x warehouse buildings with ancillary offices and gatehouses. Land to the west of St Johns (B4114), Enderby.
DECISION – That the officer’s recommendation to approve application be REFUSED by majority of the Planning Committee.
23/0234/FUL – Erection of Use class B2/B8/Class E unit with associated access and parking. Land to west of Autoglass Ltd, Meridian North, Braunstone Town.
DECISION – APPLICATION APPROVED.
Local Planning Applications
23/0541/FUL – Change of use of Utility Room to dog grooming room. 1 Fosse Close, Sharnford. LE10 3
Decision – APPROVED
23/0802/FUL – Single storey rear extension. 6 Church Street, Sapcote, LE9 4FG
23/0845/OUT – Development of 8 serviced plots to deliver self-build and custom dwellings (outline application for access only). Strawberry Cottage, Hinckley Road, Sapcote, LE9 4LG
23/0848/VAR – Variation of condition 2. Addition of side personnel door to garden maintenance building. 42 Bridle Path Road, Elmesthorpe, LE9 7SA.
23/0827/VAR – Variation of condition 3. Allow vehicle access on Leicester Road to be retained and altered. Mill Bank House, Leicester Road, Sapcote, LE9 4JF.
23/0858/LBC – Removal of Swithland Slates from existing roof to enable removal and replacement of rotten timber rafters. 1 Wortley Cottages, Station Road, Elmesthorpe, LE9 7SG.
23/0863/HH – Retrospective application for erection of single storey triple garage and utility room. Easton House, Hinckley Road, Aston Flamville, LE10 3AG.
23/0411/FUL – Erection of car port and closure of south access. The Old Rectory, Church Street, Sapcote, LE9 4FG.
23/0875/FUL – Change of use of land to residential curtilage and conversion of barn to form residential dwelling, erection of garage, stable block, and hard surfacing. White Gate Stables, Hinckley Road, Sapcote
All Saints School, Sapcote Visit
Your Councillors, including County Cllr Maggie Wright had the privilege of attending All Saints CE Primary School in Sapcote, to take part in the blessing of the new buildings.
Joined by the Rt Revd Saju Muthalaly the Bishop of Loughborough, who blessed each part of the building as we walked around.
A special thank you to head boy and girl Jack and Honor-Faith for giving us the guided tour.
Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan Meeting @ County Hall
The plans set out the council’s ambitions to make changes to the infrastructure of roads and pathways across the areas, including wider connected routes, better signage and more cycle parking.
Increasing access to sustainable transport will also help improve the health of local communities and go towards the council’s goal of being net zero by 2045.
Initial feedback for the areas was asked for via a map-based forum in 2022, in which locals noted where they would like to see possible changes which would lead to the establishment of an attractive and integrated cycling, walking and wheeling network across the county. This has helped to inform the proposals set out in the two LCWIPs.
PDF version of this newsletter can be downloaded from the link below.