Fosse Highcross Ward Blaby District Councillors Monthly Report - October 2023
New business support service
Businesses across Blaby District now have access to a new, funded, business support programme, the Leicestershire Business Advice Service.
The free support, from expert consultants Exemplas, will include everything from start-up workshops to accelerator programmes. One-to-one advice and more will be available to help businesses at all stages of their journey. Blaby District businesses will be able to access face-to-face appointments with advisors as well as a range of training workshops across Leicestershire. For more details visit: Leicestershire Business Advice Service
The service is a partnership between the seven District Councils in Leicestershire: Blaby District Council, Harborough District Council, North West Leicestershire District Council, Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council, Oadby and Wigston Borough Council, Melton Borough Council and Charnwood Borough Council.
Each authority has funded the project through their allocation of the UK Shared Prosperity Funding. This project has received £83,478 from Blaby District Council.
During September there have been many training events and meetings attended by one or both of your councillors:
- HNRFI Member Reference Group – 4th
- Training – Scrutiny Work Programme – 5th
- Blaby District Parishes Group. Hosted by Sharnford Parish Council – 6th
- Planning Committee – 7th
- Sapcote Parish Council – 7th
- Sharnford Plant Show – 9th
- HNRFI Planning Inspectorate Preliminary Meeting 12th
- LCC Cycling Forum – 13th
- Training – Finance without numbers – 14th
- Review of Strategic Assets – 14th
- Chairman’s at Home Event – 15th
- Blaby District Council Cabinet – 18th
- Training – Planning Masterclass – Housing – 19th
- Sharnford Parish Council – 21st
- District Council Meeting – 26th
- Joint Consultative Committee Meeting – 27th
- Elmesthorpe Parish Council – 28th
During October the following training events and meetings will be attended by one or both of your councillors:
- Training – Introduction to Communication & social media – 3rd
- Training – Audit & Corporate Governance Committee Workshop – 4th
- Planning Committee – 5th
- Sapcote Parish Council – 5th
- Audit & Corporate Governance Interviews – 9th
- Audit & Corporate Governance Committee – 10th
- Training – Climate Change Masterclass – 12th
- Training – Domestic Abuse Awareness – 18th
- Sharnford Parish Council – 19th
- Training – Finance & Welfare – 23rd
- Training – Affordable Housing – 25th
- Big Community Switch – Do you want to go green and save money.
- Boosting the Economy in Blaby District.
- Blaby Village toilets set to open.
- Jobs Fair offers hundreds of work, training, and career opportunities.
- Solar Panel plan & EV Charging for Council Depot.
- Householders save with Solar Together scheme.
HNRFI Update – Examination Begins & Leader & Portfolio Holder Call for the Application to be withdrawn
The Hinckley National Rail Freight Interchange will remain in our monthly reports until the final decision is made by the Secretary of State
The Preliminary Meeting was held in public and concerned procedural matters only. Blaby District Council Officers along with the Leader Cllr Terry Richardson & Planning Portfolio Holder Cllr Ben Taylor attended the meeting, where the developers Tritax were criticised by the Planning Inspector for submitting lengthy documents the night before the meeting.
Actions arising from this meeting resulted in 49 points to be answered by the applicant, covering areas missed during the consultation period.
The Procedural Decision, formally setting the timetable for the Examination including deadlines for receipt of detailed Written Representations and for comments on the Relevant Representations made by other Interested Parties, is detailed below:
Cost-of-Living Information Event
Blaby District Council is running a series of drop-in events to help residents find support with the cost-of-living crisis. The events will give residents an opportunity to speak face to face with council staff and staff from other organisations who can help with problems including benefits, housing, debt, and food support. The events are drop-in sessions, so no appointment needed, and they are open to all residents across the district. Tea and coffee will be provided. Agencies will bring along a range of free merchandise
Campaigning for Fosse Highcross
With support from our local MP Alberto Costa & County Councillor Maggie Wright, we have continued to campaign across the District Ward on local matters, including the HNRFI.
Please keep in contact with us if any local issues arise.
We are here for you and will work hard for the area we represent.
Our joint social media accounts are the best way to keep up to date with the work we’re doing across the ward.
X/ Twitter & Facebook handle: @FosseHighcross
We are also looking to run a Councillor surgery in the near future.
Major Planning Applications
22/01037/OUT – H&BBC - Erection of 343 homes, Jelson Homes, Aston Flamville Road, Burbage
This application was refused by H&BBC and a new application submitted in August 2023.
Jelson Homes have now appealed to the Planning Inspectorate for the first application.
23/0514/FUL – Change of use from C3 (Dwelling House) to C2 (Residential Institutions) to allow use as a Children’s Home. Thorpe Astley, Braunstone Town.
23/0546/FUL – Erection of Industrial/Warehouse Building (Class E(g)iii/B2/B8) with Ancillary offices, Plot 20 Optimus Point, Glenfield.
23/0560/FUL – Extension to existing car park to create 50 additional car parking spaces.
Enderby Leisure Centre, Enderby
Local Planning Applications
23/0439/VAR – Add Garden rooms to plots 4, 5, 6.
Church Farm, Station Road, Elmesthorpe.
23/0699/FUL – Construction of new replacement dwelling and demolition of existing dwelling.
Mill Bank House, Leicester Road, Sapcote
23/0742/FUL – Change of use of garage to Residential Annex.
Stanley House, Leicester Road, Sapcote
23/0786/HH – Single storey rear extension.
55 Harecroft Crescent, Sapcote
A PDF version of this newsletter can be downloaded from the link below.