Fosse Highcross Ward Blaby District Councillors Monthly Report - December 2023
Merry Christmas to everyone within Fosse Highcross.
In the photo above we have been out campaigning with our MP and party chairman
We have been busy supporting local events and continuing to support residents especially as the colder months get closer.
Blaby District Council run a Christmas Charity Hamper scheme and this year we donated a tray of baked beans and some money towards this year’s collection. These hampers are so important to and go to our resident support team to directly support those who need it most, along with some to the housing team for people who are homeless.
Supporting our District and Ward at Christmas Events
Fosse Highcross parishes are busy getting ready for Christmas and we have enjoyed attending the various events, with more to come.
- Blaby District Chair’s Chairty Night Fundraiser at Dom’s restaurant in Thurlaston within the Fosse Villages, on behalf of Cllr Cheryl Cashmore’s nominated charity, Leicester Animal Aid. A massive £747 was raised.
- Aston Flamville Xmas Fair. A well-attended fair with the highlight being Father Christmas turning up. Don’t tell the kids but Father Christmas was capably played by the chairman of Aston Flamville Parish Meeting, Robin Wilson.
Sapcote Christmas Lights Switch On
It might be chilly, but the village came out in force for the Sapcote Christmas Light Switch on. Well done Sapcote and Santa for a cracking job🎄We were pleased to be joined by our Chair of Blaby District Council, Cllr Cheryl Cashmore👍Well done to Cllr Nindy Sahota for organising the event👏
Elmesthorpe Festive Fair
Elmesthorpe ran an excellent Festive Fair and it was great to be there🎄
Thank you, Mandy Windram, for organising this event and bringing fabulous stall holders together 👏
These local events take a lot to organise, and it is so great to see the support from residents. Please keep coming along to these events and support local businesses.
During November there have been many training events and meetings attended by one or both of your councillors:
- Training – Anti-social Behavior – 1st
- HNRFI Examination, Environmental Matters – 1st
- HNRFI Examination, Need and Socio-Economic Matters – 1st
- HNRFI Examination, Open Floor Hearing – 2nd
- HNRFI Examination, Compulsory Acquisition Hearing – 2nd
- HNRFI Examination, Draft Development Consent Order – 3rd
- Sapcote Parish Council – 2nd
- Training – Equalities, Diversity & Inclusion – 9th
- Blaby Remembrance Event – 10th
- Remembrance Sunday – 12th
- LRALC AGM – 15th
- Training – Planning Masterclass – 16th
- Sharnford Parish Council – 16th
- Chairs Charity Event – 17th
- Aston Flamville Christmas Fair – 18th
- Aston Flamville Parish Meeting – 22nd
- Sapcote Christmas Lights Switch On – 25th
- Elmesthorpe Festive Fair – 26th
- Blaby Corporate Plan Briefing – 27th
- Blaby District Council – 28th
- Planning Committee – 30th
During December the following training events and meetings will be attended by one or both of your councillors:
- Scrutiny Task & Finish – Open Spaces – 4th
- Blaby Christmas Carol Service – 6th
- Cyber Escape Room – 7th
- Sapcote Parish Council – 7th
- Meeting with Police Commissioner – 8th
- Sharnford Christmas Bacon Buttie Event – 9th
- Scrutiny Task & Finish – Commercial Strategy – 12th
- Sharnford Parish Council – 21st
- The latest round of Community Grants Scheme is now open.
- Two by-elections for District and County Councillor seats called.
- Rooms-to-rent planning appeal dismissed.
- Big Community Switch is now open.
- John Richardson, Executive Director is leaving the Council to take up the position of Chief Executive at Harborough District Council on Friday 8th December after working at Blaby District Council for the past 6 years.
Blaby District Council Community Awards 2023
We are pleased to see two finalists from Fosse Highcross in the Community Awards this year, Twins at Totstime and Sapcote Memory Hub.
These awards celebrate the volunteers and upstanding community members that go above and beyond for the District.
Best of luck to both groups. You do amazing work for the community.
HNRFI Update – Examination
The Hinckley National Rail Freight Interchange will remain in our monthly reports until the final decision is made by the Secretary of State
New HNRFI hearing announced for Wednesday January 2024
We have just been informed by the Planning Inspectorate that there will be an Issue Specific Hearing on Traffic and Transport, and Noise on Wednesday 24 January 2024. Blaby District Council has been asked to attend. Further details of the hearing are included in the table. Please note that any request to participate in the hearing must be made by 23:59 hours on Tuesday 16 January 2024.
𝐎𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐫 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝟐
We have been following the hearing closely and at the Open Floor Hearing 2, we were joined by the Leader of Blaby District Council, our County Councillor Maggie Wright and Neighbouring District Councillor for Fosse Stoney Cove, Cllr Neil Wright.
We will continue to fight to stop the HNRFI proposals as we move forward through the examination and beyond.
Cost-of-Living Information Event
Blaby District Council is running a series of drop-in events to help residents find support with the cost-of-living crisis. The events will give residents an opportunity to speak face to face with council staff and staff from other organisations who can help with problems including benefits, housing, debt, and food support. The events are drop-in sessions, so no appointment is needed, and they are open to all residents across the district. Tea and coffee will be provided. Agencies will bring along a range of free merchandise.
District and County By-elections
We would like to make you aware that three separate by-elections have been called within Blaby District:
- Blaby & Glen Parva County Division
- Glen Parva District Ward
- Blaby Parish- South Ward
An election will be held on Thursday 21 December.
Please note we are not in pre-election period (purdah), this limits press releases from Blaby District Council during the election.
Full details can be found on LGA’s website here: www.local.gov.uk
Major Planning Applications
20/1346/FUL – Land to Est of Grange Drive and South of Enderby Road, Whetstone.
Erection of 4 buildings to house 18 small starter commercial units.
21/1497/FUL – Abbey Farm, Lubbesthorpe Bridle Road, Lubbesthorpe.
Restoration and conversion of Abbey Farm Site for 7 dwellings.
Referred until later date.
23/0091/FUL – Demolition of nos. 5 and 7 Groby Road, Glenfield and erection of 74 bed care home.
Decision – APPROVED
Local Planning Applications
23/0873/HH – 21 Park View, Sharnford, LE10 3PT
Single storey rear extension.
23/0967/HH – 78 Spa Drive, Sapcote, LE9 4FN
Single storey rear extension.
23/0818/HH - 25 Henson Way Sharnford, LE10 3PN
Single Storey Extension to square off the house at rear of the property.
Local Planning Enforcement Notices
Mill Bank House, Leicester Road, Sapcote
Appeal against unauthorised erection of a two-storey rear extension.
Easton House, Hinckley Road, Aston Flamville
Rear extension not built in accordance with approved plans.
Livesley Lodge, Livesley Drive, Sapcote
Bid to use a former care home as a rooms-to-rent letting house has been dismissed under appeal by Planning Inspectorate.
Remembrance Day Service
We attended the Remembrance Day service at St Helens Church in Sharnford to lay a wreath on behalf of Blaby District.
This is an enormous honour for both of us as District Councillors.
It is so important that we come together to acknowledge those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our great country.
We also attended the Blaby District Council remembrance service at the Council offices.
We will remember them.
PDF version of this newsletter can be downloaded from the link below.